Friday, July 29, 2016

As a Filmgoer, I Think 2016 Has Been Pretty Great So Far

Every Friday for about the past five months, I have been recommending a film that is currently streaming on Netflix. I call this weekly post, "Mattflix Recommendations" (So clever, I know). Posting on my Facebook and Twitter pages, the film I suggest can be from any year, country or genre. And most importantly, I only provide the film's title and year of release. I don't include a trailer, poster, credits or even genre because I truly value the opportunity for people to experience a film they know little to nothing about (which I'll surely write in depth about at a later time). I also like to think that maybe my endorsement alone is enough of a selling point for the people I know.

This week's MATTFLIX RECOMMENDATION: HOT FUZZ (2007)

I started doing it because I, like any film buff, simply love sharing great movies with others.
In a time of so much cynicism due to Hollywood's current obsession with brand recognition, many people don't realize that there are still so many great films out there--both old and new--that they don't even know about. And best of all, they're easier for everyone to see legally than ever before! 

So as the cynics continue their discussion of creative bankruptcy in Hollywood, I just want to take this opportunity to say that I have really been enjoying 2016 as a filmgoer thus far. Over the past seven months I have seen a surprising number of terrific films from both studios and independent distributors, and I want to let you all know where you can currently find some of them!

I even provided the posters this time!

AVAILABLE TO OWN AND/OR STREAM

Directed by Dan Trachtenberg  


Directed by Richard Linklater 


Directed by Gavin Hood 


Directed by Jeremy Saulnier 


Written and Directed by Jeff Nichols 


Directed by Tim Skousen and Jeremy Coon


Written and Directed by John Carney 


IN THEATRES

And if you can find them playing at a theater near you, please do yourself a favor and seek out these wonderful films: 

Directed by Matt Ross

Directed by Taika WWaititi

Directed by Shane Black


Directed by Benson Lee

Directed by Na Hong-jin

These are just some of the films that gripped, entertained, thrilled, amused and/or inspired me this year as I sat in the dark. I urge you to see them all!

Happy Viewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment